The castle is a field fortification with a rectangular plan of 160 x 125 meters, the longest side being the east-west wall. The preserved constructions of some of the towers and segments of the surrounding walls indicate that the castle is likely to have been built for the first time in antiquity, perhaps in the early Byzantine period (IV – VI century A.D). It is believed to belong to one of the fortifications built or reconstructed by the Emperor Justinian in the New Epirus (province of Durrës).
A part of the city walls that are seen today on land belong to the constructions of the last centuries, which were built by Ahmet Pasha Bargjini (1788 – 1809) in the last decade of the XVIII century on the ruins of the old castle.
In 1798 the castle fell into the hands of the Toptani family of Kruja. During this period it was placed in the center and became a subject of war between the Toptani family and the Bushatllinj rulers of Shkodra. In 1817 it underwent a siege of 5 (five) months, which had serious consequences not only for the fortress but also for a big part of the city. After the bombing, the castle was rebuilt in part by the Toptani family, until 1832 when it fell due to the incursions of the Ottoman army led by Mehmet Resit Pasha, who ordered the destruction of all forts.
Today a part of the north wall and the leaflets on the southern side of it are still conserved, which is combined with the enchanting surrounding infrastructure.

Credit:Bashkia  Tirane